Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ashes into Beauty

The last couple of days I've been feeling very reminiscent. I've been going through the catalog of my memories and thinking about all of the people, places, and situations that have made me who I am today, some good, some not so good.

Today I am thankful for the not so good.

  • I am thankful for the tough growing up years. Being hungry, cold, dealing with an alcoholic mom who couldn't deal with life, having a Dad who wasn't around consistently, abuse....I am thankful for all of those things because they all taught me I am a survivor. I learned how to be resilient and resourceful.  And now as an officer in The Salvation Army I can relate to the people that we serve better and I can tell them with great confidence that God has not abandoned them and that there is a way out. 
  • I am thankful for past relationships with men that didn't work out. Sometimes it takes a lot of wrong ones to find the right one. When I met my husband I learned that I had value and was lovable.  Even before he met Jesus, my husband demonstrated His love for me when he was willing to be persistent and pursue a stubborn, obnoxious girl who didn't even love herself. 
  • I am thankful for the mistakes that I've made in my relationship with my husband. Let me be clear, the hurt that has been caused through the years was not pleasant and I wish that we both had sometimes made better choices. However, I am thankful for what we learned from it. I know that my husband is my soul mate. He is the man chosen by God especially for me. Our song has always been "Are you Strong Enough" by Sheryl Crow and through the years he has proven over and over again that he is.  
  • I am thankful for those tough situations that I've faced in my Officership that, at the time, seemed insurmountable. It was in those times I learned the faithfulness of God and that His strength is indeed made perfect in my weakness. 

As I write this I realize people could see this as a real downer but I want you to know as I look back at all of it I really am not sad anymore. It's taken me a lot of years to say this but because of my past I now know great joy! He has turned these ashes into beauty....
 

With Gratitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment