Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2016

31 Days of Presence: Day 1 Skipping Stones

The last several months I have felt a bit like a stone that is being skipped across a pond. I have been powerfully propelled forward and I am just skimming the surface of life. Every once in a while I touch down on the water but then I am back in the air again with the wind whistling in my ears wondering how I keep getting launched. 
In his book Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster says this, " In contemporary society our Adversary majors in three things: noise, hurry, and crowds. If he can keep us engaged in "muchness" and "manyness," he will rest satisfied (15)."

The "muchness" and "manyness" is depleting my soul. I am merely skimming the surface of moments with my family. I have become unaware of my own spirit and person. I am able to acknowledge that God is indeed present but much like being in a noisy party, I can't quite make out what He is saying. 

For the next 31 days I will be using this space to share my journey to Presence. This is a place of accountability for me. This is a place where I can step back, reflect, and share honestly where I am at in journey. I add the word honestly because I don't want this to become a place where I share contrived depth. Contrived depth helps no one. 

So, what does all of this look like? Here is where I am starting:
  • Driving the speed limit. 
  • Deleting social media apps from my phone and tablet. 
  • 5 minutes of silence each day. 
  • Daily practice of Lectio Divina
Well here it is...time to go be present. 



1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading your series. I am proud of you for putting time into this endeavor. Writing our way to greater, deeper understanding is a gift from God. So are you. Love you sister-friend.

    ReplyDelete