Pages

Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Time for Untangling

I am a knitter...correction I am a Knitter...that capital K makes a difference. I knit almost every single day. I knit to keep my hands busy when I have to sit still and pay attention. I knit to make beautiful things. I knit to help keep anxiety at bay. I knit because I love colors and fibers. I really love knitting. 

The thing I don't love is .....tangled yarn. 

There is nothing worse that happily knitting away and coming to a massive tangle of yarn. I have a friend that LOVES to untangle yarn. She finds it meditative. I find it maddening. I usually just keep tugging and pulling out just enough yarn to knit with until the tangle is so bad that I have to stop and untangle it. 

They other day I was cleaning up a bunch of  old and abandoned projects. I was ripping back projects that hadn't seen the light of day for months, some even years and rewinding the yarn into tidy little yarn cakes to be used in future projects. 

I was happily winding away and then I came to this mess....



Actually I took this after about 2 hours of untangling. It was bad....really bad. I briefly thought about throwing the yarn away, but it was really nice yarn and I had no place that I hat to be so I took a deep breath, sat down, turned on some music and started untangling. 

Right now I think many of us are feeling pretty tangled which is to be expected in light of all that is going on in the world. I wonder though how many of us are still stubbornly just pulling on the end of the tangle hoping that it will just come loose when in reality it is just making things worse. 

Friends, right now many of us have the time to take a deep breath, sit down with our precious selves, turn on some music and start the process of untangling. Your first reaction may be one of panic or anger....because "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH?!?!?"  I may not know exactly what you are going through but I do have a general idea and here's the thing I do know, no matter how hard you keep pulling on that yarn it will never come loose it will only get worse. 

So today I am offering you an invitation to sit down, take a breath, and begin to untangle yourself. Even if you just take 20 minutes at a time, it will be worth it. 

Would you look at that beautiful cake of yarny goodness!



Today I pray that you would find space to sit with yourself and The Holy Spirit and mindful begin to untangle your knots. I pray that you are gentle and patient with yourself. I pray that in those moments when you come to the knots that seem impossible you would breath deep and let the Spirit guide you. 

You are loved and held. 






1 comment:

  1. That color reminds me of the confetti angel food cakes my dad made when I was a child. This is a beautiful reflection. I am proud of you for sitting through it rather than throwing it out. Look at what you would have missed!

    ReplyDelete